Ads

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

VRMMO Summoner Hajimemashita Chapter 30 Released


Chapter 30 of VRMMO Summoner is done. Thanks go to Nanaseru for volunteering his time to do some editing and a bit of quick translation checking.

You can find the chapter here.

There's a few changes to the style for the chapter. I didn't like the way Chapter 29 looked using English-style quotation marks (") so I've decided to keep the Japanese-style brackets instead. If they are showing up as boxes, make sure you have the Japanese system fonts installed for your operating system. If it's looking like it's a problem for too many readers, then I might consider going to [ ] brackets instead, so leave a comment if you have problems viewing the chapter text properly.

Also of note, while translating this chapter I noticed something about "Boparu" that made me go back and check chapter 4. First off, Boparu is referred to as "chan" so she's a she, and any times I've referred to her as "he" is a mistake on my part.

And, having re-read chapter 4, I'm beginning to think that her name is really supposed to be: "Vorpal".

When our main character's sister complains about the name, she describes the name as: "Head-hunting/decapitating rabbit" (首狩り兎).

So... I’m beginning to think that ボーパル (Boparu) is a phonetic misspelling of ヴォーパル (Vorpal), since both would be pronounced about the same in Japanese.

For background, Vorpal is a made-up English word (meaning “incredibly sharp, severing”) created and popularized by author Lewis Carol, but commonly used in older RPG settings to refer to weapons imbued with the ability to sever limbs or decapitate. Now when you ask what that has to do with a rabbit, my guess is that where the trip down this rabbit hole goes is this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_of_Caerbannog

And video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgj3nZWtOfA


As to how a Japanese author is familiar with the infamous “Vorpal Bunny“ of Monty Python lore, I have no clue…

In any case, enjoy the chapter. Plans are to get the third part of Chapter 2 from Maria-sama ga Miteru - Volume 34 done next.

4 comments:

  1. I've seen a clip from Holy Grail that was dubbed in Japanese and subbed in English. This was an extra feature on the DVD for Holy Grail. In that regard, I wouldn't be surprised if Monty Python had a following over there.

    In addition, the Alice character is also extremely popular in Japan, so there's a possibility that might have had a part in naming the rabbit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evan, I've certainly seen the Alice fad, as there's a ton of Japanese manga derived from Alice in Wonderland. Pandora Hearts being one prominent(?) example.

      Interesting about the Holy Grail Japanese dub. I had no idea. Also the Japanese Wikipedia page for the Monty Python movie is rather extensive and not a stub: モンティ・パイソン・アンド・ホーリー・グレイル

      Delete
    2. talking about Japanese Alice fad and gave Pandora hearts as examples
      I see you man of culture as well 😀

      Delete
    3. Haha, well maybe too cultured... with the other series I'm reading/translating being Maria-sama ga Miteru... gotta find a more masculine series to translate next ;) (And no, the spin-off to Maria-sama ga Miteru: Buddha is Also Watching doesn't count... lol)

      Delete